A little family vacation

Florida. A little getaway from the end of the winter, drag on blues. Pool, cocktails, laughter, reading. Just another vacation, but it isn't. It's more. This morning I'm writing this blog from Pat's screened in porch, while the birds discuss their morning plans. Pat, my birth mother. This is the second time I've been to visit her down here. The last time it was just the two of us. Very scheduled, probably to fend off any awkward silences. But the love of family has seeped in. My sister, Lisa, and I flew down together. We are sharing a room and like most sisters, have noticed the difference between each side of the room, mine messy, hers not. Yesterday was our pool day, Lisa and mine. Sisters hanging, giggling, gossiping, tanning. This morning my Uncle Jack is picking me up to go kayaking. A few years ago, I wouldn't know what to do with all of this. I'd feel some sort of betrayal toward my family, as though I was replacing them. But when it goes well, it's love that sets those ties. So today I'm going to have a special day with these people I now call family. And the world seems warmer and brighter and not just because I'm in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment